Author Martha Burge suggests that there are alternative understandings of and treatments for what is commonly known as Attention Deficit Disorder. She reminds us that sensory intensity means intense capacity for discomfort, but also for experiencing beauty. She describes various meditative practices that allow more communication between the conscious and subconscious minds and provides other helpful tips. Here are a few of her easy-to-apply suggestions for people she describes as “sensually intense”:
- get rid of clothes that aren’t comfortable. Life’s too short!
- lighting counts! Replace bright lights with lower-wattage bulbs.
- replace you bedding with the best you can afford (bamboo sheets are smooth and breathable)
- use a heating pad on tense muscles for 15 minutes a day
- use fabric softener in your laundry
- use sound-blocking headphones when in loud places
- take mini muscle relaxation breaks throughout your day
- add an exercise routine to your day to relax the nervous system
–from The ADD Myth